Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Chicken Piccata

Tonight was my first attempt with Harris Teeter frozen chicken breasts and chicken piccata. I have preconceived notions about frozen meat because I don't want it to taste bad. I think of the chicken you get from subway or a place like that, where you just don't know if it's really chicken. Well, these were real chicken breasts, just frozen by someone else. I think the bag of 5 breasts costs $6 or $7. The recipe had you butterfly them, so I ended up with 12 or 14 of them. I doubled the recipe.




I followed her procedure but then eye-balled the measurements for the sauce. I wanted to have some extra sauce to put over the angel hair pasta, which was not in the recipe. So, I just kept dumping in lemon juice, chicken broth and wine until there was enough liquid. I also added some flour before I added the additional juices to thicken up the sauce.




Next time: More flour and more liquid. Need more sauce to cover the pasta. I served it with corn from the bag ($1). A good meal for the price. And I have plenty of leftovers for lunch.




Side Note: One of my new favorite places is the sad fruit section at Harris Teeter. It's where the old fruit gets put at the end of certain cycles and marked really low. I can get a dozen limes for $.99 and a bag of mismatched apples for the same. Well, I found these huge lemons for $1.25 and purchased them. They're huge! I used them for this recipe and 2 lemons had about 1/2 C of juice. Nice!



No comments:

Post a Comment